By Joseph Cavanagh
Stragglers are rightly proud of a splendid reputation for tours of quality; among the many and varied destinations over the years the club has toured the Oxford colleges, the Cambridge colleges, the West Country, Holland, Denmark, Berlin, Hong Kong, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Portugal, Cyprus, Malta, the Algarve, and India twice in recent history.
After a couple of false starts in the last handful of years the committee resolved to get back into the touring habit by means of a well-planned and not too ambitious tour of South West France. The plan has shaped up as follows:
- Joe Cavanagh
- Tim Lerwill
- Tom Calder
- Will Russell
- Harry Pilcher
- Tony Hooper
- Will Blackhurst
- Matt Suckling
- James Melhorn
- Ian Perry
- Vinny O’Neill
- Billy K-H
(With space for more!)
Tuesday 28 Aug.
- Road party departs UK.
Thursday 30 Aug.
- PM – Easyjet flight from London Gatwick North, departing 1555hrs.
- EVE – Flight arrives Bordeaux airport at 1835hrs local. We will collect one hire vehicle on arrival and move in that and the minibus to our accommodation at Hostellerie du Perigord – c60 miles from the airport – arrive perhaps 2100hrs. No formal arrangements for this evening.
Friday 31 Aug.
- AM/PM – All-day game v a “SW France XI” at St Aulaye CC, 5 kms from hotel.
- EVE – Tour dinner at our accom Hostellerie du Perigord, with a few guests who have helped us organise the tour.
Saturday 1 Sep.
- AM – drive to vicinity Damazan (total / c2 hr drive; intention is to break trip with vineyard visit, river swim, and/or lunch).
- PM – cricket match v Damazan CC at Damazan. 2pm start.
- EVE – Drive c30 miles to accommodation at Gites La Colombiere near Eymet. No formal arrangements for this evening.
Sunday 2 Sep.
- AM – scope again for range of activities eg vineyard visit.
- PM – cricket match v Eymet CC at Eymet. 2pm start.
- EVE – post match end of tour barbecue/party kindly supported by Eymet CC.
Monday 3 Sep.
- V EARLY AM – move to Bordeaux airport for flight departing 0700hrs local time, due back London Gatwick North 0740hrs UK time.
- AM – road party departs for UK.
We will play all matches in cricket whites, ideally complemented with lashings of club blazers, club jumpers and club caps. Tour ties are in production, as are new club polo shirts (intended to offer comfortable alternative to shirt/tie for travelling, post-match etc)
We have run the numbers again and continue to think this plan achievable at approx £400pp (tourists named above have already each paid £150 of this in deposits). The £400pp includes flights; minibus, additional hire car and fuel; 4 nights in hotels (mix of shared and single rooms); contributions for tour Dinner and BBQ, tie and polo shirt. It does not include travel to and from LGW or food/drink beyond the named evening events above, or any personal misc/incidentals etc.
NB. there remains capacity for more players – if interested please contact Joe Cavanagh or Ian Perry.
Beyond 2018 there are nascent plans for one or two short UK tours, another overseas tour in 2021 or 2022, and a full club tour back to our roots in India in our centenary year 2025.